Saturday, December 27, 2014

Richie Ashburn's 1952 Bowman & 1953 Bowman Color Cards

1953 Bowman Color #10
For the fourth year in a row, my Mom alone continued the tradition began by my Dad and her many, many moons ago.  I've dubbed this tradition, Santa Brings Way Too Many Awesome Baseball Cards to Jim, and the prior years' bounties are recapped in posts I've linked below.  Mom individually wraps each baseball card and I've annually looked forward to unwrapping each of the new treasures to be added to my Phillies collection.

I've decided to break the unveiling of this year's cards into several posts.  Mom took care of eight of the ten cards on my Ten Most Wanted - Vintage list and two of the ten cards from my Ten Most Wanted - Modern list.  She was bound and determined this year to cross all ten cards off my Ten Most Wanted - Vintage list and she came impressively close.

I'm going to start things off by showing my two favorite cards from the haul.

1952 Bowman #53
With the addition of these two Richie Ashburn Bowman cards, I'm now one card away from a full run of Whitey's Bowman cards from 1949 to 1955.  I'm missing his 1949 Bowman rookie card, although I'm confident I'll track that down one day.  The 1952 Bowman set was the last to be issued with the smaller size of 2 1/16" x 3 1/8" and the last Bowman set to use painted portraits rather than actual color photos.  Ashburn's 1952 Bowman card shows him in his road grays with a strange-looking geometric formation in the background against a few white, fluffy clouds.

The 1953 Bowman Color set is absolutely gorgeous in its simplicity, with full color photos on the first ever large format Bowman card.  Ashburn is again in his road grays, and he's just selected his bat from the dugout's bat rack.  I showed my eight-year-old son Doug the card shown here, and he first guessed that it was Robin Roberts.  I told him he was close and his second guess was Ashburn.  Not too shabby for a kid who wasn't yet alive the last time the Phillies stunk.

In a bit of a fortuitous accident (at least for me and Doug) my Mom purchased two of these 1953 Bowman Color Ashburn cards - both in amazing condition.  I could have added the second card to my trade bait pile, but I've opted instead to add the card to Doug's collection.  It's now the oldest card in his growing collection, and he has his grandmother, his Mimi, to thank for it. 

This list will need to be updated . . .
2011 Santa Brings Way Too Many Awesome Baseball Cards to Jim
Part 1 - Continuing a Tradition
Part 2 - 1971 Topps Set - 13 More Down
Part 3 - 1952 Topps Phillies
Part 4 - 1951 Bowman Phillies
Part 5 - Curt Simmons - Two New Bowman Cards
Part 6 - 1955 Bowman and Topps Phillies

2012 Santa Brings Way Too Many Awesome Baseball Cards to Jim
Part 1 - 1941 Double Play Litwhiler & May
Part 2 - 1963 Topps John Herrnstein rookie card (featuring Willie Stargell)
Part 3 - 1940 Play Ball Phillies - Part 1
Part 4 - 1940 Play Ball Phillies - Part 2
Part 5 - 1950 Bowman Del Ennis

2013 Santa Brings Way Too Many Awesome Baseball Cards to Jim
Part 1 - 1998 Upper Deck Scott Rolen
Part 2 - 1968 Topps Phillies Team Card
Part 3 - 1966 Topps Bob Uecker
Part 4 - 1955 Bowman Robin Roberts
Part 5 - 1965 Topps Johnny Callison
Part 6 - 1954 Bowman Richie Ashburn

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A beautiful pair of cards, I can't wait to see what else "Santa" brought you. :-)

Yay, Mom!