Sunday, May 15, 2011

2011 Chachi Lineage #1 Roy Halladay

Braves 3, Phillies 2
Game 39 - Sunday Afternoon, May 15th in Atlanta

One Sentence Summary:  Wearing retro-style baby blue road uniforms, the Phillies fell to Dan Uggla and the Braves in the annual Civil Rights Game, 3-2.

What It Means:  The Braves won their second consecutive series against the Phillies, dropping the Phils to 25-14.  The Phils maintained a two game lead over the Marlins and the Braves have now crept to within 3 1/2 games of the top spot.

What Went Wrong:  Roy Halladay lost his second consecutive complete game.  John Mayberry, Jr.'s two-run home run in the sixth gave him a 2-1 lead to work with, but the Braves scored in the sixth and eighth innings to tie the game and then eventually take the lead.  Phillie-Killer Dan Uggla scored all three Braves runs, and it was his solo home run in the eighth that sealed the win for the Braves.

Tim Hudson and two Braves relievers held the Phillies to just four hits all afternoon.  They are 4-5 in the last nine games (all against the Braves and Marlins) and the offense is hitting at an .212 average during that span.

Featured Card:  Now normally there wouldn't be such a dynamic photo appearing in the 1975 Topps set, but I couldn't resist pairing up a photo of Halladay in his vintage uni with the awesomeness of the 1975 Topps set.  I just wish I was posting this card in honor of another Halladay win.  (And I wish the vintage P on the Phillies cap didn't appear as if was just a little bit too big.  And while I'm at it, I wish the Phillies had worn retro maroon helmets instead of clashing with their current red helmets.  But most of all, I wish Halladay had won the ballgame.)

The Chachi Lineage cards are from yet another insert set to be found within packs of 2011 Chachi, and the inserts are so scarce it's impossible to compile a complete checklist at this point.  The Lineage inserts are seeded randomly into rack packs available only at Wawa's in the Northeast on Tuesdays.

5 comments:

Dick Allen Hall of Fame said...

Awesome card!

I think the uniforms today looked great. I kinda wish they would have gone with the zippers on the jerseys. Also, the "P" looked a little too big, but overall, awesome.

I hate Dan Uggla.

Anonymous said...

Gotta love that 1975 Topps.

I love the old Phillies uniforms too. My first thought when I saw they wore them was to get a couple cards made with them. I didn't see the clashing helmets but that sounds terrible.

I'd like to see the Phillies in powder blue come to KC to play the Royals in their powder blue. It would be 1980 all over again.

Anonymous said...

Normally I'm a big fan of retro unis, but I didn't think these worked real well. As mentioned above, the "P" was too big, they didn't have matching helmets, their undershirts and shoes are the modern red, you didn't see anybody's stirrups... it just didn't work for me. And like much of the '80s they wore them in, they lost. Bring back the current unis.

Anonymous said...

Uni Watch has a great breakdown on how the uniforms looked in comparison to the ones really worn in 1974:

http://www.uniwatchblog.com/2011/05/16/phils-and-braves-wear-throwbacks-for-mlb-civil-rights-game/

However, I'm not so certain that the source that he links to has all the details completely correct. I know, for instance, that the Phillies patch on the sleeve listed as being used only from 1984-1986 was used right up to 1992. Later tonight I plan on checking my 1975 cards to see if I can determine whether they really were using names on the back by 1974.

Jim said...

Looks as if there were names on the back - see #94 Jim Lonborg, #292 Schueler, #326 Twitchell and #477 Hutton in the '75 Topps set. I'm OK with the minor inconsistencies, but the too big P on the hat is inexcusable.