Saturday, May 8, 2010

1960 Topps #264 Robin Roberts

Braves 4, Phillies 1
Game 30 - Saturday Afternoon, May 8th in Philadelphia

Not a lot to write home about today with regards to the Phillies performance. The team dropped a lackluster game to the Braves, 4-1, on a afternoon dominated by wind and ice cream in a helmet. Doug and I attended our second exclusive father-son game, and we made it through the 5th inning before Doug's boredom and the pull of his Star Wars men at home forced our departure. On a picture perfect afternoon, if you didn't mind the occasional gale-force winds, we enjoyed gigantically huge servings of soft-serve vanilla ice cream with rainbow sprinkles in plastic mini-Phillies helmets.

From what I can gather, the Phils had their chances, leaving plenty of men on base and falling victim to 3 double plays. The loss snapped the Phillies 4-game win streak, but the ice cream was delicious and Doug (and his Dad) left smiling.

#36 Again: Soley for lack of any idea for a baseball card subject to represent this afternoon's loss, I'm going with another Robin Roberts baseball card. I have more cards of Roberts than I originally thought, and I'll happily share them whenever possible.

2 comments:

Dan said...

Ice cream in the mini-helmets was the best food at the Vet! There was only one location for it that I remember. Is it easier to find at the Cit?

Jim said...

Much easier to find at the new ballpark and I'm not kidding about the huge portions. It was almost ridiculous, but I'm not one to complain about having too much ice cream.