Thursday, January 14, 2010

1971 Topps Super #58 Deron Johnson

This is yet another favorite from my recent Checkoutmycards purchase. Prior to obtaining this card, I didn't have any Phillies baseball cards from the numerous oddball and specialty sets produced by Topps throughout the '70s.

The first thing that struck me about this card is just how thick it is. It's printed on very sturdy cardboard, and it's at least twice as thick as a normal baseball card. The second thing that struck me is that the card is slightly miscut - but I don't really mind. The back is just a blown-up version of Deron Johnson's regular 1971 Topps card. There are 63 cards in this set, and scanning the checklist it appears as if the only Phillies in the set are this one and Tim McCarver at #34. So I'm now officially trying to track down the McCarver card.

No comments: