Monday, August 31, 2009

2009 Phillies Team Issue #28 Jayson Werth

Each year, the Phillies create a postcard size team issued set, available for sale at the ballpark. Occasionally, the team releases an update set if there were notable acquisitions or significant roster turnover during the year. My favorite card from this year's set features members of the 2008 World Champs dressed in tuxedos flanking the World Series trophy.

As we were leaving the game Saturday night, I wanted to check to see if there was anything new for sale in one of the baseball card kiosks located throughout the park. Sure enough, Cliff Lee was now on top of the team set, meaning I had to buy it. For $5, I purchased my second team set of the year, and I was pleased to see there were several updates from the originally issued set.

The following new Phillies are now pictured in the update set: Ben Francisco, Paul Bako, the aforementioned Cliff Lee, and Pedro Martinez. I'll feature these cards the next time one of these players star in a Phillies' victory.

The following cards have been removed from the update set: my favorite card - the one with the tuxes, Geoff Jenkins, Ronny Paulino, Chris Coste, and bullpen catcher Tim Gradoville.

I'm curious as to why there's no Tyler Walker card, even though he's been up with the team for a few months. They pulled five cards from the original set and replaced those with four cards. Poor Tyler is left without a card in either set. It also would have been nice to see the Phillies replace the broadcasters card, featuring all the current broadcasters, with a Harry Kalas tribute card.

No comments: