Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Many Bothans Died to Bring Us These Stickers (@PunkRockPaint)


Actually, I'm pretty confident that no Bothans were harmed in the design and execution of Punk Rock Paint's latest custom creation, the Galactic Greats "sticker" set.  With the beloved 1986 Fleer stickers as inspiration, the set re-imagines 30 Major League logos as Star Wars themed logos with some seriously impressive graphic design work.  The Red Sox become the Cloud City Pod Sox, the Mets become the Mechs and in one of my personal favorite stickers, the Royals become the R2 Deetoos.

But wait there's more!  The backs of each custom sticker feature a Galactic Great, commemorating the heroes and villains from a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away.


I've featured the Phillies/Force Ghosts sticker from the set here, and for comparison purposes I've also presented the original Phillies sticker found within packs of 1986 Fleer cards.  If you look closely at the Force Ghosts sticker, the ghostly image of Obi-Wan Kenobi can be seen . . . and I suddenly feel a strange urge to go to the Dagobah System.

Only 66 of these sets were produced and I'm the proud owner of set #2.  When I last checked, sets were still available for sale and I highly recommend you get your set before it's too late.  As always, may the Force be with you.

No comments: