Friday, February 17, 2012

1988 Fleer #636 Tried & True Sluggers - Mike Schmidt & Gary Carter

My Pop-Pop used to watch the Mets for the sole purpose of rooting against them and reveling when they lost.  (He did the same thing with the Yankees.)

One of the players who really got under my Pop-Pop's skin was Gary Carter.  It didn't take me long to figure out that Pop-Pop was most annoyed by the guys on the Mets who were really good, and he reserved most of his venom for Carter.  It didn't help that Carter always seemed to kill the Phillies.

These memories were the first things that went through my head yesterday when I heard that Carter had passed away after a brave battle with brain cancer.  His daughter wrote on the family website that she's sure Carter received a standing ovation when he walked through the gates of heaven.  I'd like to think that after the Standing O, my Pop-Pop yelled at him a little, just for old time's sake.

Rest in peace, Kid.

1 comment:

deal said...

Nice find for today - Always enjoy the Phils connected to a noteworhty subject for the day cards - even if it is a sad occasion.